Measuring, reporting, and reducing GHG emissions is a strategic imperative for your business.
Why is GHG emissions reporting important?
Corporations are finding that measuring, reporting and reducing their sustainability impacts delivers both short term and long-term benefits. Higher financial return and sustainability management are no longer trade-offs, and companies are enjoying positive returns on investment from embedding sustainability management across the value chain.
Measuring and reporting your GHG emissions and carbon footprint can help you understand and prioritize opportunities to improve your economic, environmental, and social performance.
Some examples of the benefits of measuring and reporting GHG emissions:
- enabled management and reduction of GHG emissions and carbon footprint
- enabled management and reduction of GHG-related risks (fluctuating energy costs, supply chain resiliency)
- participation in mandatory and voluntary GHG programs and markets (like CDP)
- public recognition for early voluntary action
VitalMetrics: Rapid, accurate GHG ACCOUNTING and reporting
We use Sustainable Spend Analysis to calculate your organization's GHG emissions according to the World Resources Institute (WRI) GHG Protocol.
The WRI GHG protocol is a standardized design that ensures relevant, accurate, consistent, transparent, and complete calculations so that the inventory is a true and fair representation of the company's emissions. These emissions are categorized into three main "scopes":
- Scope 1: All direct GHG emissions
- Scope 2: Indirect GHG emissions from consumption of purchased electricity, heat or steam
- Scope 3: Other indirect emissions, such as the extraction and production of purchased materials and fuels, transport-related activities in vehicles not owned or controlled by the reporting entity, electricity-related activities (e.g. T&D losses) not covered in Scope 2, outsourced activities, waste disposal, etc.
Source: GHG protocol FAQ
Sustainable Spend Analysis utilizes only an organization’s general ledger, a reliable and complete source of information, and maps it to the Comprehensive Environmental Data Archive (CEDA®) (see: Data:CEDA) via VitalMetrics’ proprietary software to calculate your organization's GHG emissions and carbon footprint. This dramatically reduces the time and resources usually required to calculate all three GHG emissions scopes, while simultaneously improving the completeness and accuracy of the results relative to performing this task manually. To learn more about VitalMetrics' Sustainable Spend Analysis services, please click below.
Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) REPORTING Services
CDP is the most widely recognized GHG emissions reporting platform and provides:
- Clear methodologies for corporate/project GHG emissions quantification
- Suggested pathways for GHG emissions management
- A platform to advertise sustainability performance in climate change (GHG emissions), among others
- A platform to manage GHG emissions over time and compare scores with those of other industry leaders
Quantifying Scope 3 emissions by conventional means is one of the most time-consuming yet uncertain parts of a carbon footprint. In order to estimate Scope 3 emissions, a list of inputs to an organization that includes products, services, equipment and logistics needs to be compiled. Even once inputs have been identified, the significant task remains to gather appropriate conversion factors and assign a boundary to the task of analysis at hand.
VitalMetrics CDP is the solution to your Scope 3 GHG emissions calculation and CDP-ready disclosure. Our service will help you rapidly and accurately measure and report all three Scopes to CDP to improve both your disclosure and performance scores.