Measuring, reporting, and reducing GHG emissions
is a strategic imperative for your business.
Why is GHG emissions reporting important?
Corporations are finding that measuring, reporting and reducing their sustainability impacts delivers both short term and long-term benefits. Higher financial return and sustainability management are no longer trade-offs, and companies are enjoying positive returns on investment from embedding sustainability management across the value chain.
Measuring and reporting your GHG emissions and carbon footprint can help you understand and prioritize opportunities to improve your economic, environmental, and social performance.
Some examples of the benefits of measuring and reporting GHG emissions:
- enabled management and reduction of GHG emissions and carbon footprint
- enabled management and reduction of GHG-related risks (fluctuating energy costs, supply chain resiliency)
- participation in mandatory and voluntary GHG programs and markets (like CDP)
- public recognition for early voluntary action
VitalMetrics: Rapid, accurate GHG ACCOUNTING and reporting
We use Sustainable Spend Analysis to calculate your organization's GHG emissions according to the World Resources Institute (WRI) GHG Protocol.
The WRI GHG protocol is a standardized design that ensures relevant, accurate, consistent, transparent, and complete calculations so that the inventory is a true and fair representation of the company's emissions. These emissions are categorized into three main "scopes":
- Scope 1: All direct GHG emissions
- Scope 2: Indirect GHG emissions from consumption of purchased electricity, heat or steam
- Scope 3: Other indirect emissions, such as the extraction and production of purchased materials and fuels, transport-related activities in vehicles not owned or controlled by the reporting entity, electricity-related activities (e.g. T&D losses) not covered in Scope 2, outsourced activities, waste disposal, etc.
Source: GHG protocol FAQ
Sustainable Spend Analysis utilizes only an organization’s general ledger, a reliable and complete source of information, and maps it to the Comprehensive Environmental Data Archive (CEDA®) (see: Data:CEDA) via VitalMetrics’ proprietary software to calculate your organization's GHG emissions and carbon footprint. This dramatically reduces the time and resources usually required to calculate all three GHG emissions scopes, while simultaneously improving the completeness and accuracy of the results relative to performing this task manually. To learn more about VitalMetrics' Sustainable Spend Analysis services, please click here.
Our team is ready to begin helping you with you GHG emissions accounting and reporting. Please contact us below to begin!